Sunday, February 14, 2010

Muslin Doll

It's been a while since I made a doll. It was aiming for something a little different (for me that is).

















Below is a scan. Her feet are cut off because she is too tall for my scanner bed. What I did was use torn strips of cotton as thread. I did three rows of a running stitch up the body. The middle thread continues as a scarf wrapped around her head and the outside threads exit at the shoulders and turn into hangers. Some machine stitching holds the top, middle and back layers of fabric in place. I roughly trimmed the middle and back layers separately so that some of the layers would be visible. And I love all those frayed edges and threads. I could have added more embellishment, but I guess I am a minimalist. It's too easy to go overboard. CLICK ON THE SCANNED IMAGE FOR A BETTER VIEW.






















The doll hangs on a clipped, muslin wrapped, wire coathanger. I had a green polished stone that looked like it belonged and so I added that as well. The picture below is a photo, taken at night, with a flash, against my deep red wall. It's not great but it gives you an idea of the finished piece.

3 comments:

becky said...

Wow Inga I love all of your things,thanks for sharing.Have a great week!~~Becky

Saskia said...

Wow! This is sooo creative!!!! Lovely work!

Saskia :)

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

For me, it brings to mind a cocoon hanging from a branch, and the possibilities inside....