Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blue Dog à la Cotton Picker

Below is an image of Cajun artist George Rodrique's famous Blue Dog which appears in many of his paintings. Blue Dog always brings a smile to my face. I thought it might be fun to make a little critter based on Blue Dog's silhouette.























Here is my version. This took a long time to finish. I've got a stiff neck and sore fingers from all that stitching. Does it looks like a dog? I don't think so. More like a gargoyle type of creature, but so what? The body is woven with torn cotton strips - click on the picture for a better view.






















What I love about this is the marble effect on the face. I painted it on the wrong side of one of cottons I used for the body.

3 comments:

Maggie R said...

very nice Inga..
I like your portrait in the margin,
xoxo
((((hugs))))
maggie

Summerset said...

Yes, of course, the blue dog! I can see the resemblence. Maybe it is just the color that reminds you of stone gargoyles.

Carol said...

Love your interpretation of the famous Blue Dog!