Friday, August 1, 2008
Second New Look 6352
(Click on above image to enlarge)
This is my second New Look 6352, completed this morning. The fabric is 100% cotton with a looser weave, giving it a linen feel.
I've done a lot of simple sewing recently. Pullover stuff requiring no zippers, no buttons and minimal darts. I'm ready to move on to more fitted (shapely) garments. Today I traced out and made some changes to the following pattern, McCalls 4346. I am making View C, the sleeveless version. I prefer no sleeves when it's hot and humid. I did an FBA (full bust adjustment) via the pivot and slide method and I shortened the back waist length for petite sizing even though I am not petite. I am short waisted and I think (I hope) this alteration will do the trick. Also, the finished length is too long - it would end up at my ankles. I shortened the dress about halfway between View A and Views B and C.
So far, I've cut out the dress front and back. I haven't cut out the facings yet because I suspect I may have to add darts at the back of the neck. If that's the case, then I will have to redraft the facings. It's all trial and error now and I am hopeful that I can make a wearable muslin.
I've chosen a fun cotton blend print for my muslin which cost me just under $12. Not a huge amount of money to lose if I mess up, but 12 bucks is 12 bucks. I think I've got to start scouring thrift shops for $2 sheets for trial garments.