Monday, February 4, 2008

Ugly Dotee One






















OK, I don't think she's all that ugly, at least not her face. I seem to want to draw pretty faces. A better term to define this one, I think, would be "Tacky Dotee".

Here's what's tacky about her. 1) The fabric. I cut it on the bias to make it visually more interesting. 2) The yellow plastic teardrops at the end of her earrings and tail. 3) The yellow and blue beads on her hanger and tail.

I had bought the plastic (yuck) teardrops and the beads from a dollar store when I first started making these dolls and learning to bead. I didn't know what to buy and of course it didn't take me long to realize that those purchases were a mistake. Once in a while you can find something of some quality in those dollars stores but you have to be careful.

My second ugly/tacky Dotee will be posted here tomorrow.

5 comments:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

She makes me think of an African girl who has made an outfit from a British gentleman's castoffs.... She has a very unique sense of style!

Cotton Picker said...

Judy, an interesting observation. Now that you point it out, I can see that too.

Bel said...

Hi oh she's so not ugly but I hear you about the cheap shop finds, my stash is full of them although my daughter is helping me get through them. I do think your little dotee looks like she's out of the eighties lol.It will be interesting to see what you get in return. Belinda

Belinda said...

hehe, still not that ugly! :)

Catriona Palin said...

I don't think she's ugly at all. She has such a sweet face.
She reminds me of the 80s early 90s fashion trends when plastic beads & bright colours were the "in" thing.
Instead of ugly you should call her retro!!!! ^___^