Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sun Face Brooch

I find it difficult to toss reasonably sized cotton and felt scraps into the garbage bin without making an effort to put them to good use. Here is a brooch made from some of those scraps. I hope this isn't a precursor of hoarding tendencies. Twice in recent memory I let go of things that would have been so useful in my craft.

I back most of my ornaments with felt. A friend was decluttering and gave me piles and piles of very fine quality wool felt. At the time, I couldn't imagine that the felt would be of any use to me and I gave it all away. Weeks later, I realized my mistake and I have not gotten over it to this day. :(

Recently, I discovered a talented artist through FLICKR who uses metal zippers in her art. It's something I want to try too. Yes, I had a boxful of metal zippers given to me and yes, I got rid of them. (Click on this link for an example of the lovely art of Woolly Fabulous).

I think a lesson here is to consider carefully how to use materials, should I be fortunate enough to receive these kinds of gifts in the future.






















Below is a vintage Simplicty pattern from 1977 that I ordered from Lanetz Living. It arrived today. The two piece dress is what caught my eye. It's so pretty and feminine and I can see myself wearing it in a soft floral cotton print.

1 comment:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I really like the layers!