Friday, December 25, 2009

Painting on Christmas Eve


What a fun day I had yesterday, painting with my sister. We were sitting side by side, totally absorbed in our work, listening to some great classical music in the background and in between brush strokes, we managed a few sips of wine. My astute brother-in-law affectionately referred to us as "The Group of Two".

I used to paint with oils some 30 years ago and I never forgot how much I loved it. For me, acrylic paints dry too quickly to properly blend colours, even with the use of a retarder. But with oils, I can relax and take my time.

Here you see my first effort after many, many years. I wanted something fast to try and get the feel of the paint and brush again. The are a lot of things that are not right about this painting but I have a feeling it might be well received by the outsider art groups where I sometimes post my art. Tomorrow we are going shopping for more art supplies. I need smaller brushes for detail work and a table top easel wouldn't hurt either.

My sister allowed me to post a picture of a recent painting of hers. She is new to painting as well. I really like this one.

1 comment:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Both of you have a way with the paintbrush! Making art on Christmas sounds divine.