Monday, November 24, 2008

Red & Green Doll






















Here's my latest doll. This one has lots of embroidery, most of which, you cannot see in this photo, even if you click on it for the enlarged view.

I followed the vertical lines of the body with some gold metallic thread so it shimmers in the light. It's my first experience with metallic thread and I don't like it very much. I like the sparkle but how are you supposed to work with this three-ply thread? It's a real struggle to thread a needle. I finally gave up and used a single strand. Even then you have to be careful because each single strand is some kind of a metal fibre wrapped around a weak cotton or acrylic fibre. It's not very flexible and can easily break. If anyone can enlighten me, please let me know.

3 comments:

Creativehands said...

The Rayon Embroidery threads have a shimmer and are more easily handled than their metallic cousins.
See you!

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Ugh -- I dislike the metallic threads, too. I think they'd be okay if you were working on cross stitch canvas, but they are terrible in regular fabrics. Maybe couch them on the top of the fabric, instead of trying to sew them through the fabric?

Summerset said...

I agree, they can be pretty dreadful to use. I try to use a needle with a slightly larger or elongated eye to accomodate that thread. I also use a longer piece that I'd like realizing that some of it, especially at the needle's eye will be chewed up and unusable.