Saturday, September 13, 2008

Navy and Pink Face Brooch






















Presently, I have a couple of unfinished dolls that I intended to work on. As usual, I got distracted and dove into a different project. I read about an interesting swap on Monica's Girl Gone Thread Wild blog that I thought would be fun. Sassy Art Goddess is hosting the fourth annual Beaded Face Swap. The challenge is to "create a brooch/pin no larger that 2 ½ x 2 ½ inches. Anything goes for the face as long as it implies a human face and has SOME beads."

I don't have a problem with the face part but I have stated before that I'm a simpleton when it comes to beadwork. You're probably supposed to use special needles and thread and work with a pre-stuffed form. I use regular needles and thread and work flat.

What you see above is what I came up with. Now I've looked at the previous years' submissions and they are impressive. Most of them are loaded with artfully and skillfully arranged beads surrounding 3D (polymer clay?) faces. My face is 2D on cloth with fewer beads.

I'll have to think about whether or not to submit this. Maybe I'll take another stab at it...or maybe not.

9 comments:

GraceBeading said...

This is my third year participating in the face swap and I think your face is wonderful! I don't think you should hesitate in sending it in.

Bel said...

She is beautiful Inga, my favorite colours too. I was I could have joined but I'm going away today and although I would get it made quickly I don't just our mail (way to slow)but maybe I should start a swap of some sort soon. Belinda

Maggie R said...

Inga your art doll pin is wonderful.... Nice work. Yes , Yes, send it in... Too much fun not to!
I participated last year but this year I didn't think I had enough time. It is the year our Quilt Guild has its quilt show and i have had a lot to do for that.. However I never really say never!!HA!That's the beauty of these blogs... something new is always happening to lure us in and oh what fun it is... Art on dear heart...
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie

Summerset said...

You know, it doesn't have to be complicated to be beautiful. More beads aren't always better, contrary to what we think. Without extra beads or distractions, you can really focus on the face that you've drawn and not be distracted by the extras. I like the idea of pin, too. The faces would make great buttons, too.

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

She is so charming, Inga! I wouldn't be shy about sending her in.

girlgonethreadwild said...

Oh how awsum you are making beaded faces with us! I do hope I get one of yours!!!!

Your faces are just SWEET as can be!
!Monica :)

Heather said...

Psst! Just wanted to let you know that you've won the collage giveaway at Audrey Eclectic! Please email me your info and she can come home to you! :D
Thanks for participating!~

email:
audreyeclectic (at) gmail.com

Creativehands said...

As far as I know the 'Beaded Face' Police are out of commission; as are the 'Knitting' Police. So bead as you wish and send her off; she's beautiful!!
;-)

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Inga! Such a sweet pin! Your art dolls are Fabulous!

Creative Blessings,

Lisa :)