Friday, January 4, 2008

January Card





















I used to make greeting cards with rubber stamps, inks, embossing powders and all the other accessories and tools that you stampers out there are familiar with. Friends would always make such wonderful cards but I always felt mine were uninspired. So for a time, I am going to leave the rubber stamps behind and start making some cards out of fabric scraps.

Here is the card I made for all my friends who have a January birthday. It's all temporary, scotch taped together with snippets of fabric. The background is scrapbooking paper. Now that it's photographed, it will go into the garbage, except for the face, which will be used for a future dolly.

All that I have left to do is to upload the pictures for developing. When I get the prints, I will crop them and attach them to some bright cardstock, like purple maybe. Oh and I guess I'll make some colourful matching envelopes as well.

3 comments:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

I like the mosaic/stained glass look. It kind of pains me that you threw it away! I tell people to keep their "mistakes," because you may put them to good use in a different project. Scotch tape is very temporary, but I wonder if you could have encased it in iron-on vinyl or laminated it ... just a thought.

Ellie Garratt said...

What an inspired idea to make a card, photograph it and then use that image for future cards!

Cotton Picker said...

Judy: The fabric scraps are so teeny tiny (less than half an inch) that it just wasn't worth the trouble to try and preserve it. I will be doing the "mosaic" thing again and figure out a more efficient way of doing it so it will be permanent.

Ellie: Thank you. This method of card making works better for me than the rubber stamping.