Sunday, December 2, 2007

Exquisite Self Portrait


I lost both my parents this year. My mom died in February and dad, just a few days ago. After reflecting on their lives, I decided to post another work of art produced by my mother c. 1940. This is real art, nothing like the stuff I tinker away at.

This is a self portrait. She was exceptionally gifted and beautiful. My sister took the drawing to have it professionally restored and framed. We picked it up yesterday.

I'm still in awe of the quality of the restoration. Everyone in the shop was hovering around and commenting on its beauty and those large piercing blue eyes.

This picture now hangs in a place of honour in my sister's house. I have a second self portrait of my mother at my house which I will take to the same restorer.

And now back to the mundane....... I've been away from home for over a week and just got back today. I have to put the finishing touches on the Dotee Doll for my swap partner in Tasmania, photograph it and get it in the mail tomorrow. And then I start to make my Christmas ornaments.

1 comment:

bmbnb said...

Your mom's work is lovely but don't discount your own creative genius! We are our own worst critics and you need to get over that. You create beautiful objects. Deal with it, and accept it with grace rather than self-depreciation. This is a lesson it took me years to learn, and I still need a remedial course in it now and again.

Be well. Joy