Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mum's Paper Doll






















I spent the better part of the day in the nursing home with my dad. He seems to be resting comfortably but he is not responding when we speak to him. So mostly I just sat there and sketched ideas for future dolls. That helped to pass the time and temporarily take my mind off things.

My mother was a gifted artist. This evening, I went through some of her art work and decided to post this fun little piece she did in 1935 when she was a teenager. Since I have written a lot about dolls lately, I thought this image would be in keeping with the doll theme. I love the simplicity and grace of this picture. All she did was carefully cut out the paper shapes and paste them on to a paper background. She must have used some kind of super glue because after 72 years, the paper is still firmly affixed.

No comments: